Saturday, December 14, 2013

Poem To Africa's Greatest Son by Lesedi Evans Shumba


Gone too soon
Always will be remembered
I will cherish your loyalty to Africa
until the day I also see you sited somewhere beside
Peter, Mahatma, Martin and Teresa

I could have sworn I felt the ground shake
When your soul escaped form the body it was kept
I could hear the sounds and celebrations of the jubilations in hell
last night when the world wept -
the angel has gone where he belongs.

Hope they tell me where they bury you
so I come and lie down near you and listen to all your stories
Stories of how you and your comrades marched down the streets towards the enemy
Ran Soweto carrying nothing but banners
the only bullets you had was the shouts of 'freedom'.
How did you really feel when you drank coffee
with the same men who put you in cages?
I bet they almost died of your brutal, unconditional forgiveness.

Dear Nelson
Take thy place as God's greatest grandson
Bring thy head forward to receive your crowning as Africa's greatest son
Twinkle, Twinkle little African star
How I wonder why so soon.
Wish I could put your spineless spirit in a bottle
Then drink it until my heart burst.

One last time
fold your fist hard, bang in the air
Just like how you used to stand in the crowd saying:
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling but in rising every time we fail"

Your enemies and even your dearest comrades
have tied to destroy you but failed each time
You are a lion with nine lives and a thousand hearts.
Wish I could write 10000 words
each for each day you spent in prison
I know you will shred your soul into a thousand pieces
then drop it into the hearts of all the
Leaders of the world, then maybe they would know
how to really treat their people.

Nineteen years ago you made a nation
out of a notion you strongly held.
Nineteen years ago I was born free,

Your hustle was not, just meant for Africa to see
Your courage was like a virus
which I tested positive.
Looked into your eyes and saw a thousand pictures
I Take your soul and make a thousand copies
One great leader is worth a thousand dictators
The giant has closed its eyes
for the world to open its minds and souls

I am a present of the past
Because you made your present not resentment over the past
but the refurbishment of the future,
My future.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You write right with your right hands! Write right right son of right reason!

Anonymous said...

straight from the soul, nice one Lesh

ShareThis